Westworth United Church seeks a caring, creative, outgoing and spiritual individual for the following exciting position.
This is a part-time (.5) contract position. The Coordinator, in cooperation with the Christian Education Committee (C.E. Committee) and the Minister will be responsible for the planning, implementation, evaluation and support of faith formation programs, including Church School, youth groups, family activities and Vacation Bible School.
The focus of this position is to lift up the place of children, youth and their families, stimulate and support their spiritual growth and development, as well as build relationships between them and the congregation. The Coordinator will contribute to pastoral support for this group. He/she will be accountable to the C.E. Committee, the Minister and to the congregation through the Ministry and Personnel Committee (M&P Committee).
The Coordinator will:
In Faith Development and Community Building
- Set education goals and develop programming relevant to children, youth and families in collaboration with staff and members of the congregation, with an emphasis on faith formation, building community and leadership capacity.
- Contribute to and encourage variety of intergenerational worship opportunities
- Welcome and encourage new members to the congregation
- Engage members of the congregation in contributing to the Christian education of children and youth
- Recruit, coordinate and develop volunteers of all ages.
- Reach out to the wider community to increase participation in church programs.
- Plan and deliver an annual lay leadership event for youth leaders that builds faith and develops skills to enable leaders to share their knowledge and faith.
- Attend staff, C.E. committee meetings and leadership retreats
· Prepare material and supplies for Church School (Worthy Kids)
- Prepare material and deliver programming for weekly youth group (Worthy Youth)
- Participate in Sunday morning worship as related to children and youth
- Source curricula, prepare material and deliver programming for Vacation Bible School (Worthy Kids Day Camp)
In Pastoral Support
- Regularly connect (through a variety of social media, and personal contact) with families involved in the C.E. programs in order to build relationships.
- Refer pastoral needs to the Minister
- Assist children, youth and families to consider outreach opportunities and how they might initiate and support these opportunities.
The candidate should:
- Have a strong faith and Christian perspective that is compatible with United Church theology and so supports social justice, cultural diversity and the LGBTQ community. The candidate should be able to articulate his/her beliefs and draw on these beliefs to support self and others.
- Be a graduate of a recognized religious studies program OR have a minimum two years’ experience in a similar role. Students meeting these qualifications and currently studying in a related area will be considered.
- Be able to set goals, initiate new programs and assess results, both at a personal and group level.
- Be able to work collaboratively as well as independently, and to encourage and develop the spiritual and leadership gifts of the congregation.
- Be an innovative, empathetic and friendly leader with a keen sense of fun and commitment to this ministry.
- Have good communication (including social media) and technology (computer and A/V) skills.
- Start Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2017.
- Part-time (.5) Contract Position: 44 weeks from mid- August to mid-June , with a 20-hour work week to include Sunday mornings, plus weekend and evening programs
- Remaining hours will be negotiated with M&P Committee, with input from C.E. Committee, taking into consideration the needs of the church. The contract will be renewable on an annual basis for a total of two years when this position will be reassessed.
- Salary Range: $18-$20 per hour, depending on experience. Benefits will comply with the standards set in the United Church Guidelines.
- Some support for Continuing Education, telephone and travel will be discussed with the successful candidate.
- Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check required prior to employment.
Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 12, 2017