Westworth United Church
1750 Grosvenor Avenue, Winnipeg
on Treaty One Territory in the heart of the Métis Nation
May 21, 2017
6th Sunday of Easter
We Gather to Worship
Welcome and Announcements
Candle-lighting & Prelude
“Jesu, Name Above all Names” J.G. Walther
Hymn VU 186 “Now the Green Blade Rises” NOËL NOUVELET
Prayer of Confession
Comforter and Counsellor,
show us what depletes our spirit.
Help us discern what needs to be weeded out of our life,
that our spirits may flourish
through the greening power of God.
Words of Assurance
The Peace of Christ
One: May the peace of Christ be with you.
All: And also with you.
(Please extend to others a blessing of peace with words such as,
“Peace be with you,” or “Peace,” with the response, “And also with you.”)
We Hear the Word
Children’s Hymn: VU 167 “Christ is Risen” 1ST vs KING OF KINGS
Responsive Reading: VU 785 “Psalm 66” Parts 2 & 3, Refrain 2
Gospel Lesson: John 14:15-21
This is the Gospel of Christ.
Thanks be to God.
Sung Response: VU 840, Refrain 5 “Your Word is a Lamp”
Organ/Piano Duet “Anthem” Paul Halley
Sermon: “Greening of the Soul”
Hymn VU 388 “Spirit Dancing” SPRIT DANCING
Minute for Mission
Offertory: “Now the Green Blade Rises” John Carter
Dedication Hymn VU 542 “We Give You But Your Own”
Prayers of the People
Prayer Introit VU 400 “Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying”
Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession
The Lord’s Prayer VU 921
Hymn VU 179 “Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Give Thanks” ALLELUIA NO. 1
Choral Response: VU 974 “Amen!”
Postlude “Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah” John Hughes
Minister: Loraine MacKenzie Shepherd email@example.com
204 489-6974 Ext. 22 Director of Music: Debbie McLeod
Minister Emerita: Eleanor Geib Organist: Dorcas Windsor
Church Accountant: Jenny Jeffers firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Administrator: Heather Lavery email@example.com
Church Phone # 204 489-6974 Ext. 20 www.westworth.ca
Church Custodian: Ian Thomson firstname.lastname@example.org
Greeters: Lee-Ann Blase and Kim Taylor
Ushers: Maureen Lelond and Janet Sealey
Scripture Reader: Shirley Watts
Minute for Mission Reader: Ruth Wiwchar
Summer Worship time change: June 4-Sept. 3 Worship will begin at 10:30am.
Summer Office Hours: from June to after Labour Day, Monday – Friday, 9:00-3:00pm closed during the lunch hour between 12:30-1:30pm.
We will be having a transfer of membership on Sunday, June 11. If you would like to have your membership transferred, please let Loraine or Heather, our Office Administrator, know.
Spare Change Sunday- Here’s another option for responding to those who ask you for spare change. On the last Sunday of each month, we will have a basket at the back of the church into which you are welcome to put your spare change. This will go towards West Broadway Community Ministry, which provides services including meals, counselling, advocacy, laundry facilities, telephone, voice mail and a computer lab for those living in poverty.
Newsletter – We are looking for a newsletter editor—if you are interested, please let the office know.
This week at Westworth:
|Today||Global Day of Prayer to End Famine on May 21, 2017|
Please pick up your newsletters today if you don’t have an email. Paper copies are available.
Counting Team is Team A – David B’s team.
|Victoria Day-Office will be closed.|
|Office will be closed.|
Council meeting at 7:15pm in the parlour.
|Staff meeting at 11:00am in the library.|
|Senior Choir will meet at 7:30pm in the choir room. This is the last practice until Sept. 7. New singers are welcome to attend!|
|Conference Sunday. barb janes will be preaching this week.|
Planting Sunday-children will be planting flowers today. Old clothes and trowels would be helpful.
Spare Change will be collected for West Broadway Community Ministry.
Your Outreach Committee and WBCM Thanks You!
Thank you Westworth for your gifts this month of food, money and time, thus supporting the wonderful September lunch served at West Broadway. Our guests love those meatball sandwiches and are grateful for the cookies and fruit. Our June luncheon at West Broadway is Thursday, June 15. Barb and Brian Gwyer will act as hosts on behalf of Westworth. 204 489-4071
Plan to attend the UCW Spring Dessert Party and Thankoffering on Monday, June 5 at 7PM. This evening will provide a chance for our Westworth women to worship, celebrate 55 years of UCW across Canada, and share time with one another. There will be a short worship service in the sanctuary, with an opportunity to donate our Thankoffering for Mission and Service. This will be followed by a short Fashion Show of wedding dresses over the past decades. If you have a dress you would like featured, please contact Nancy Doern-White by May 15. We have people willing to model the dresses, or you can wear your own! Bring a wedding photo or album to look at while we enjoy dessert in the Parlour. The photo can be from your parents’ wedding, your own wedding or a wedding you have attended. This event is for all women at Westworth, not just members of UCW. Tickets are $5.00, and are available from Nancy Doern-White or the Church Office.
Register your children NOW!! Worthy Kids Day Camp
(Formerly Westworth Vacation Bible School) Experience Creation in new, and CREATIVE ways! Registration information and forms found at www.westworth.ca or in the church office.
Volunteers needed to help weed the flower beds and to prepare the beds for flowers on May 28. Please contact Spencer Newton at email@example.com if you are able to help.
Please email or call Loraine this week with your brief answer to this question: How has your family’s ethnic background affected your family’s experience in Canada as a settler, immigrant or Indigenous person? We will include some of these responses for the June 4 Pentecost & communion service that will also celebrate our cultural diversity for Canada’s 150th.
Extreme Hunger Relief – The United Church is welcoming donations for People in Kenya, Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan, and Yemen have been severely impacted by prolonged or recurring drought, as well as conflict in some of the affected countries, that have caused extreme hunger and starvation. The UN has declared a famine in South Sudan, calling it the largest humanitarian crisis since 1945. United Church partner the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (CFGB) is responding to the hunger crises in Somalia and South Sudan in collaboration with local partners. These recent CFGB response efforts were supported by $50,000 from the United Church. Please make your cheque out to Westworth United Church and we will forward to the UC of Canada. Thank you for your support.
Winnipeg Pride Parade – The Winnipeg Pride Parade will take place on Sunday, June 4th, at 11:00 a.m – PLEASE NOTE TIME. The United Church of Canada (Conference of MNWO) and Winnipeg Presbytery have registered as one walking group. You are invited to bring your church banners and join the parade. Let’s walk together in solidarity. Look for Joan Jarvis and The United Church of Canada banner in the marshalling area on the Legislature grounds.
Assiniboia Residential School Reunion: The Assiniboia School, formerly located on Academy Road, housed senior students for decades, and the former students are gathering for a reunion and commemoration weekend June 23and 24. Westworth is privileged to host Friday night events that will include a gathering and “feast”. Your Outreach Team is asking for your assistance in making this day a memorable one for all of the attendees. Please check the Signup sheet in the Narthex for opportunities to serve.
Opportunities to support 1JustCity:
* Please see the Outreach Board for information about these exciting events!
- a) Summertime with 1 Just City: The Joyful Project is proud to present an exciting concert featuring Port Cities, Kenaston, Nadia and Jason Burstick, and Friend of Foes, on June 3, 2017. This concert will raise support for local Winnipeg emergency shelters. Doors 7:00pm, Show at 8:00pm. Tickets are $15 plus fees in advance at The Park Theatre, online, or in-person. For more info send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- b) High Tea Fundraiser at West Broadway: Saturday June 3 in the afternoon. Get your white gloves out and join us from 2-4 pm at West Broadway we celebrate the gifts of Sr. Rolande Bissonette, Doug and Phyllis Flint, and Marlene Ramsay. If you cannot attend, but would love to make a donation, you may see Heather in the office.
- c) Urban Retreats Garden Tour—Sat. June 17, 10:00am–4:00 pm, rain or shine. Self‐guided tour of beautiful Woodhaven gardens in support of St. Matthews Maryland Community Ministry, Tea and Craft Sale, $5 at the door, 11:30am–2:00pm at St. Andrew’s Woodhaven Anglican Church. More info at stmatthewsmaryland.ca
Council News Meeting Apr. 30, 2017
- Additional Ministry Team Leaders appointed since the AGM
- Pastoral Care – Nancy Doern White and Barb Gwyer
- Membership – Shirley Watts
- Property – Spencer Newton
- EDGE Committee presented an update. Existing Edge Committee was then disbanded with thanks with a view that in the future there may be a need for a new Committee. Further exploration on use of our building is ongoing by Council.
- Search Committee for the Position of Coordinator – Children, Youth, and Family Ministries has been created and the position has been posted.
- Ministry Team Orientation was held on April 30, 2017
- Worthy Kids Day Camp will take place Aug 21-25
- Next Council meeting May 23, 2017 at 7:15 in parlour
2017 Special Appeals & Children’s Fund Disbursements
We sent 3 used guitars and 3 new guitars plus extra strings, along with 40 sturdy chairs (surplus from U of M) to Cross Lake United Church, upon their request. They hope to use the guitars in a youth ministry.
We raised $1,225 for Special Appeals this Easter. This money, together with $1,800 from UCW and $484 unspent from last year, allowed us to distribute funds to the following organizations:
|Conf of MB and NW Ont Bursary Fund||200.|
|1 Just City||200.|
|West Broadway Comm Ministry||700.|
|St. Andrews College||200.|
|Sandy Saulteaux Spiritual Centre||250.|
|Centre for Christian Studies||200.|
|L.I.T.E. (local investment towards employment)||200.|
|Days for Girls, Winnipeg Chapter||200.|
|CGIT Camp Brereton (campership)||200.|
|Rock Lake United Church Camp||500.|
|West Central Women’s Resource Centre, 640 Ellice||200.|
Community News (please see more info on bulletin board)
- Come Sing the Mozart Requiem with Orchestra this summer with Neil Weisensel and Rachel Landrecht, Co-Directors of the popular World Village Gospel Choir.! They will meet for 12 Tuesdays from 7 to 9 p.m. Performance Fri Aug. 25th 7 p.m.
- Hand Made Market Saturday May 27 at Harrow UC, 955 Mulvey Avenue from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Cooking Demonstration Monday May 29 – The Harrow UCW is holding a fundraiser by hosting a Pampered Chef Cooking Show at Harrow UC, at 7 PM.