Westworth United Church
1750 Grosvenor Avenue,
on Treaty One Territory in the heart of the Métis Nation,
Christian Family Sunday, May 13, 2018
We Gather to Worship
(We will begin outside, weather permitting, around the sign on the east lawn for a blessing of the wheels.)
Welcome and Announcements
Blessing of Wheels
For the greening power of nature,
We give thanks to you, our Creator.
For entrusting us with the care of creation,
We humbly ask for wisdom and the will to be faithful.
For abilities to walk and to ride,
We give you thanks.
For opportunities to lessen our dependence on cars,
We give you thanks.
For choices to reduce our footprint on this earth,
We give you thanks.
For young feet and old feet, both strong and tired,
We are grateful for what we can do.
Strengthen our bodies,
that we may exercise earth-care even as we exercise self-care.
Bless our walking, our biking, our skateboarding and rollerblading,
Bless the wheels that carry us; bless our senses that guide us.
Keep us mindful of safety;
Keep us alert and careful.
Through the efforts of each one of us,
Bless the earth and all its creatures,
For they are “all my relations”.
May we live with respect in Creation.
(move inside sanctuary)
Lighting of Christ Candle & Prelude: “Spirit of the Living God” John Carter
Hymn MV 1 “Let Us Build a House” vs 1, 5 TWO OAKS
Minute for the Environment
Cherub Introit: “Amani Utupe” Patsy Ford Simms
(Grant Us Peace, Give Us Courage)
(Children may now go to Sunday School)
Prayer of Confession
Gather us in the confidence of your love.
Ease our fear of not belonging.
Forgive us for compromising our own integrity for the sake of fitting in.
Forgive us for building walls that keep others out.
Forgive us for betraying your love and compassion.
Words of Assurance
The Peace of Christ
One: May the peace of Christ be with you.
All: And also with you.
(Please extend to others a blessing of peace with words such as,
“Peace be with you,” or “Peace,” with the response, “And also with you.”)
We Hear the Word
Responsive Reading VU 724 “Psalm 1″ T. Barrett Armstrong
Scripture Reading: John 17:6-19
This is the Gospel of Christ.
Thanks be to God.
Sung Response: VU 826, Refrain 2 “Hallelujah”
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
Anthem: “Lift Up Your Voice” Victor C. Johnson
Sermon: “True Belonging”
Hymn MV 138 “My Love Colours Outside the Lines” Light/Donaldson
Offertory: “This is God’s Wondrous World” Craig Curry
Dedication Hymn VU 544 “In Gratitude and Humble Trust”
Prayers of the People
Prayer Introit: MV 16 “Come & Fill Our Hearts””
Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession
The Lord’s Prayer VU 921
Hymn VU 556 “Would You Bless Our Homes and Families” AITKIN
Choral Response: VU 974 “Amen!”
Postlude: “I’ll Fly Away” Alfred E. Brumley
Thank you to Amanda Davis for leading in the Blessing of the Wheels and reading the Minute for the Environment. Thank you also to the members of Haskins St. Band for their music this morning.
Minister: Loraine MacKenzie Shepherd
email@example.com 204 489-6974 Ext. 22
Director of Music: Debbie McLeod Organist: Dorcas Windsor
Minister Emerita: Eleanor Geib
Coordinator of Children, Youth & Family Ministries: Maggie Barnett firstname.lastname@example.org 204 489-6974 Ext. 23
Office Administrator: Heather Lavery email@example.com
Church Phone: 204 489-6974 Ext. 20 www.westworth.ca
Church Accountant: Jenny Jeffers firstname.lastname@example.org
Hosts: Shirley-Ann Simkulak and Florence Baker
Scripture Reader: Elaine Pigden
This week at Westworth
Counting Team is Team B – Dan’s team
Westworth Kids and Youth:
- Westworth Kids Today, the children will be participating in the blessing of the bikes and the outreach segment on transportation.
- Westworth Youth will meet Saturday at 3:30 pm in the upper classroom for Qigong.
- Mums/Caregivers and Tots Tuesday Morning Drop-in from 9.30-11.00 am
Christian Family Sunday, May 13th We will begin this service with a blessing of bikes and wheels. Please bring your bikes, roller blades, skateboards, scooters, walkers, and wheelchairs for a blessing. Weather permitting, we will begin the service on the east lawn beside the sign for the blessing and will then proceed into the sanctuary for the rest of the service. There will be a security person looking after the bikes and wheels during the service.
Taizé Pentecost Service Mon. May 14th 7:30 pm. Come for a time of quiet meditation and chanting as we celebrate the Spirit moving in our midst.
Unit 77 will meet for a luncheon at The Wellington on Wednesday, May 16th, at 12:30 pm. This gathering will include planning for next year’s book discussion schedule.
Please be advised there is no Men’s Spirituality Breakfast in May as it conflicts with the long weekend. Our next meeting will be bulletined in June.
Rummage Sale – THANK YOU to all who donated, and helped.
The call for volunteers was answered by many people. Good fellowship was enjoyed by all. God Bless our customers, who come from far and wide. We do not have a firm number yet, but will advise later. The sale was co-ordinated by Andrea Firth, Dorothy Reid, and Lee-Ann Blase.
There are only two seasons – winter and baseball.” And, now that winter is behind us, it is time to put the Goldeyes game, that we Westworth keeners will be attending, into your calendars. Reserve June 8th, 7:00 pm, for a game against the Chicago Dogs. Watch for the sign-up sheet to appear in the narthex. Contact Nancy Williamson (email@example.com) if you want more information.
Conference Worship -Westworth will not be holding a Sunday Service on May 27th in order to encourage people to attend the final worship service of Conference. The 10:00 am service will be at University Centre, University of Manitoba. Please sign up if you plan to attend and indicate if you can provide a ride or need a ride.
Faith Café will discuss the meaning of the sacraments on Thursday, May 31st at 10:30 am. Clergy and laity welcome!
Westworth Vacation Bible School
- August 27th – August 31st from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Cost: $75.00/child/Full Day week.
- Theme: A Road Trip with Mary and Joseph – The Christmas Story
- Registration forms: contact Maggie or Heather in the office or online at westworth.ca
On Monday, June 4 at 7 pm, plan to attend the UCW Thankoffering and Dessert Party. The evening will begin with a short worship service in the sanctuary, and an opportunity to donate a Thankoffering for Mission and Service. Sharon Dainard, a graduate student in Native Studies at the University of Manitoba, will be speaking on Treaties. Following her presentation, we will enjoy dessert and fellowship in our auditorium. This event is sponsored by the UCW, and both women and men are welcome to attend. Tickets are $5.00 and will be available after worship and in the church office during the week.
The following information of interest to the congregation is from the Council meetings of April 8 and 24, 2018.
- Approval was granted for several grant submissions that would help in Outreach, community and church activities.
- An “Open House” and Barbecue for the church and its neighbours is tentatively planned for Thursday, August 30th . Further information to follow.
- The revised Westworth United Church Manual has been presented to the Council for review and comment.
- The names of several members were approved for removal from the Westworth Rolls due to loss of contact for more than three years.
- A policy stating that honoraria $500 or more or cumulatively $500 or more within a calendar year will require the full name, address, and SIN of the honoree in order to process payment was approved. This is for tax purposes.
- The Leadership Team retreat date has been set for Oct 13, 2018. Location to be determined.
- Congregants are encouraged to sign up if they are planning to attend the Conference Sunday Worship at the University of Manitoba on May 27, 2018. This will assist in planning rides.
- There will be a full congregational meeting on Sunday Oct 14, 2018 immediately following the worship service regarding the Governance Structure Model for Westworth United Church.
2018 Pledges and Donations from January to April received from identifiable givers
Pledged Received Total Pledged
M+S $ 13,017 $ 12,740 $ 39,052
Westworth operations $ 84,723 $ 86,027 $ 254,168
Total $ 97,740 $ 98,767 $ 293,220
Total of all donations for the past 3 years.
2016 $95,083 2017 $99,392 2018 $ 98,767
Please refer to the bulletin board in the Narthex for monthly updates.
1. West Broadway April Lunch Dan and Ruth Wiwchar will host this month’s hot lunch on May 17th for over 160 people at West Broadway. Meatball sandwiches, fruit and home baked cookies are on the menu, and you may find the signup sheet in the Narthex. Your Outreach Team is grateful for your continued support of this monthly program to provide a nourishing meal that is appreciated so very much by our guests.
West Broadway PantryJust a quick note to our faithful supporters who so generously supply the emergency food program with canned and dry food. There are specific needs right now that include small jars of Peanut Butter (500 ml or less); Cheese Whiz, tinned meat, especially tuna, but also chicken, ham and salmon; pasta sauce; pork and beans; granola bars. Always gratefully received are travel size toothpaste, shampoo, and soap, as well as personal hygiene products.
Thank you Westworth for your continued and generous support of the guests at West Broadway!
(please see bulletin boards for more info.)
Lori Neale is on the “People in Partnership” team at General Council. Her particular focus is on supporting the pilgrim stream short term immersion experiences and on promotion of the People-to-People opportunities. She will be in Winnipeg in June 6th for a conference and is hoping to meet a few people to speak about global opportunities for both short term and long term travel at 1:00 pm at the Conference Office. She wants to connect with folk who might be interested in learning more about organizing short term immersion experiences and/or hosting global partners. If the response from interested people is greater than the capacity of our meeting room, I will be in touch with a new location. Due to this fact, please contact Joan Jarvis 233-8911 ex. 226 firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, May 23rd if you plan to attend.