Westworth United Church
1750 Grosvenor Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
on Treaty One Territory in the heart of the Métis Nation
7th Sunday after Pentecost: July 28, 2019
We Gather to Worship
Welcome and Announcements
Candle Lighting and Prelude
Call to Worship
Prayer of Approach
O God, you have called us together
to worship just as we are.
We cannot pretend to be what we are not,
for you have made us and know us through and through.
In our weakness, we come with prayers for strength;
in our strength, we come with prayers of thanksgiving.
Open our hearts that we might pray with honesty,
and await your answers with renewed faith.
May our praise and our worship be unrestrained. Amen.
Hymn: VU 325 “Christ is Made the Sure Foundation” WESTMINISTER ABBEY
Hymn VU 377 “Holy Spirit, Hear Us” ERNSTEIN
The Peace of Christ
One: May the peace of Christ be with you.
All: And also with you.
(Please extend to others a blessing of peace with words such as, “Peace be with you,” or “Peace,” with the response, “And also with you.”
Following the Passing of the Peace, the children may go to the upper classroom if accompanied by an adult. Otherwise, they are welcome to stay in the sanctuary. Activity packs are available at the back of the sanctuary as well as books, puzzles and colouring materials in library.)
Prayer of Confession
in your gracious presence
we confess our sin and the sin of this world.
Although Christ is among us as liberation and peace,
we are a people divided against ourselves,
as we cling to the values of a broken world.
The profit and pleasures we pursue
lay waste the land and pollute the seas.
The fears and jealousies that we harbour
set neighbour against neighbour,
and nation against nation.
We abuse your gifts of imagination and freedom,
of intellect and reason,
and have turned them into bonds of oppression.
Heal and forgive us.
Set us free to serve you in the world
as agents of your reconciling love.
Words of Assurance
We Hear the Word
Responsive Reading: VU 802 Psalm 85
Scripture Lesson: Luke 11: 1-13
This is the Gospel according to Luke
Thanks be to God.
Sung Response: VU 840 Refrain 5 “Your Word is a Lamp”
Sermon: “Lord, teach us to pray”
Hymn VU 385 “Spirit Divine, Attend Our Prayers” GRAFEBBERG
Dedication Hymn: VU 540 “Grant Us, God, the Grace”
Prayers of the People
Prayer Introit: VU 400 “Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying”
Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession
The Lord’s Prayer VU 921
Hymn VU 602 “Blest be the Tie That Binds” DENNIS
Choral Benediction: “Hallelujah” ST. GEORGE’S
Thank you to Earl Gould, for leading us in worship while Loraine is on sabbatical May-July. Rev. Earl Gould is offering pastoral care until July 31st (204) 888-1543 (home), (204) 795-7535 (cell) or firstname.lastname@example.org Rev. Karen Lumley of SARH (204-488-1130) will provide emergency pastoral care in Aug. EXCEPT Aug. 14th – 22nd, when Rev. Elizabeth Brown of Trinity UC (Office 204-269-1632, Home 204-275-0014) should be called.
Informal Surprise Reception
This reception came as a total surprise to me! Now that I have regained consciousness, I want to thank Chairperson Eunice and all her helpers for hosting this event. It still gives me a good feeling in my soul when I think about it. Being here among you assisting in worship and offering pastoral care during Loraine’s sabbatical has been a wonderful experience for me.
So, thank you to:
- Loraine and the Westworth Leadership Team for inviting me,
- you, the congregations of Westworth and St. Andrew’s River Heights for being so welcoming and accommodating,
- Heather and Andrea, Dorcas and Debbie – you’ve been wonderful to work with,
- sabbatical worship leaders for your grace and good will in accepting me as one of the team, and, finally,
- JOYCE, for forth-seven years of graciously living with me and my covenant with the church which, in many ways, is our covenant with the church.
Blessings to you all.
Earl M. Gould
Minister: Loraine MacKenzie Shepherd (on sabbatical May 1st – July 31st)
email@example.com 204 489-6974 Ext. 22
Director of Music: Debbie McLeod Cherub Choir Director: Jewel Casselman
Organist: Dorcas Windsor Westworth Winds Director: Ray McClelland
Minister Emerita: Eleanor Geib
Coordinator of Children, Youth & Family Ministries: Maggie Barnett
204 489-6974 Ext. 23 firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Administrator: Heather Lavery email@example.com
Church Phone # 204 489-6974 Ext. 20 www.westworth.ca
Church Accountant: Jenny Jeffers firstname.lastname@example.org
Ushers: Shirley W. and Janet S. Guitar: Alan W.
Scripture Reader: Ruth M., St. Andrew’s River Heights UC (SARH)
Leading Worship: Earl Gould Pianist: Nicola Davies
Our sympathy to the family of Margaret Putnam who passed away July 21st. Her Celebration of Life Service will be held here on July 30th at 2:00 pm.
AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER 1ST SERVICES start at 10:30 am. at SARH.
THANKS to Alan Wilson for sharing his musical talents this summer and for Nicola Davies sitting in at the piano while Dorcas is away.
MAY – JULY PASTORAL CARE Rev. Earl Gould is available for pastoral care needs while Loraine is on sabbatical until July 31st. Karen Lumley of SARH (204-488-1130) will provide emergency pastoral care in August EXCEPT for Aug. 14th – 22nd, when Rev. Elizabeth Brown of Trinity UC (Office 204-269-1632, Home 204-275-0014) will provide emergency pastoral care.
OFFICE HOURS Heather is in the office full days Mon, Tues, Fri and afternoons on Wed & Thurs. Andrea covers Wed. and Thurs. mornings. Summer office hours: July – Monday – Friday, 9 am – 3 pm. August – CLOSED
SUMMER WORSHIP AND CHILDREN In July, there is be a children’s time in the Worship Service, after which the Upper Classroom is available for parents and children who wish to hear the service and be able to play. NOTE: parents must supervise their children. Children are welcome to stay in the sanctuary; a variety of children’s packets are available at the back.
SUMMER VBS Heaven’s Kitchen – Foods of the Bible Aug 26th-Aug 30th. VBS curriculum 9 am-1 pm; fun activities 1 pm-4 pm. Full or part days. Subsidies, bursaries and family rates available. Registration forms at the church, or on website.
Loraine is on sabbatical May-July, travelling across Canada to visit and learn from thriving United Churches. We are grateful to retired ministers and laity in our midst who have and will be leading us in worship at this time. She is on vacation in August.LORAINE’S SABBATICAL
SUMMER SCHEDULE This is the last Sunday that SARH joins us for worship this summer. August 4th – September 1st, we will join SARH at 255 Oak St. for worship starting at 10:30 a.m. We will conclude our joint worship with SARH folk Sept. 1st with Rev. Karen Lumley preaching and Loraine leading in communion. After Sept 1st, we return to our respective congregations for regular worship at 10:55am.
SPARE CHANGE SUNDAY Excuse me, do you have spare change? How often have you been asked this and not known how best to respond? Here’s an alternative. On the last Sunday of each month, we will put out plates at the back of the church. When you leave, you are welcome to dump your spare change into the plates. All spare change donations are sent to West Broadway Community Ministry, who offer many resources to those living in poverty.
CELEBRATE SUNDAY July 28th The last Sunday of the month, Westworth celebrates Milestone events in your life. If you have a Birthday, Anniversary, Graduation or other milestone, please write it on a slip of paper and put it in our Celebration Box in the Narthex. At the end of the service, Earl will read them. If you would like to bring a snack on the last Sunday to help celebrate your milestone event with others, it will be served after the church service.
SAVE THE DATE August 29th, 5:30 pm Westworth’s
Second Open House & Barbecue
Barbecued food supplied by the Pork Marketing Board ($5 per person). Donations of salads, vegetables and desserts requested. Watch for sign up sheets in the narthex in July. Beverages provided. Children’s menu available. Please join us.
ATTENTION: COMMITTEES AND SMALL GROUPS All small groups and committees have been asked to have a display ready for the Open House August 29th. These displays can be staffed by a volunteer or self-explanatory. If you need help turning what your group does into a visual, you can call Andrea F.
WESTWORTH’S ANNUAL LUNCHEON AND BAZAAR will be on October 26, 2019. The Treasure Table team has already been hard at work washing, packaging and pricing items for this event. This area sells small house wares, ornaments, candles, jewelry, jig saw puzzles, toys, women’s dress scarves, Christmas decorations and so much more! If you have items to donate, please get in touch with Nancy Doern-White. Items can be dropped off at the church during the summer, in the lower storage area under the west stairs, and should be marked “Treasure Table 2019”. Books, crafts and “like new” items should be marked “General Store 2019”.
- West Broadway Community Ministry (WBCM) PantryYour Outreach Team is grateful to so many of you who have filled the buckets to overflowing with nutritious protein foods destined for West Broadway. As we move to worship at St. Andrews our WB buckets will not be available for our regular Sunday donations of food. We encourage you instead, to make a monetary donation by making a cheque to Westworth United with “WBCM Pantry” on the memo line. Thank you for your generosity!
- Save the Date Sunday September 29 – “Lunch and Learn”!We are very pleased to announce that Rob Altmeyer (presently the MLA – Wolseley) will come to speak to our congregation on Environmental issues. He will give his thought-provoking presentation from 12:30 – 1:30 in the Parlour. Folks will be asked to bring with them a bag lunch. Members of St. Andrews are welcome to join us! Amanda Davis will deliver an “Environmental Minute” during worship, and we encourage in particular, the youth in our Sunday School and beyond (our high school and post-secondary youth) to participate in worship and the Lunch and Learn (along with parents!) Many young people have much to say about how we are treating our earth, and we encourage their voices to be part of the discussion!
- CIRCLES FOR RECONCILIATION: Westworth and St. Andrew’s River Heights members are encouraged to register for our upcoming Circle at West Broadway Community Ministry (WBCM) 222 Furby St. on Fridays Sept 6th -Nov 8th @ 10:00 am to 11:30 am. It is very important that all participants make the commitment to all ten sharing circles. A certain bond happens in the circles and it is important that the circle at most times have the right complement of participants. However, life does happen, family emergencies and so forth, so it often happens that participants are forced to miss a week. To register, go to http://circlesforreconciliation.ca and click on the Register icon. Fill out your identifying information. In the section ‘Neighbourhoods’, indicate you wish to register for the Westworth Circle starting Sept. 6th. Or, contact Ingrid Dowan for assistance at email@example.com. Questions? Contact Marion McKay at 204-269-5292 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
community news (More info on bulletin board by elevator)
- Charleswood UC VBS Monday July 29th to Thur. August 1st, 5:15-8:30 p.m. Light supper at 5:30. Cost per child is $35 for four days of thrills, frenzy & drama. Call 204-832-3667 to register your children and grandchildren.
- Camp Genesis LGBTQ* friendly arts camp for 7 – 12 year olds July 29th – Aug 2nd. Info: smrucartscamp.wixsite.com/campgenesis.
- Grands ‘n’ More Giant Art Sale – Sept 29th Norwood Community Centre. New, recycled art. Donations welcome Info: 204-270-8447