Westworth United Church is pleased to offer two Choral Scholarships for the 2011-2012 choral season, which runs from September 8, 2011 through June 10, 2012.Â The scholarships are available to students at the senior high and post-secondary levels.
The goal of these scholarships is to provide a safe musical environment through which the successful candidates will be able to grow as musicians and for the successful candidate to help support the work of the Senior Choir.
Westworth United has a long-standing tradition of fine music making in the River Heights community. The musical life of Westworth United is quite diverse and unique in Winnipeg. Â Currently it consists of 3 choirs: Senior Choir, Junior Choir and Cherub Choir; a 3-5 octave Handbell Choir, a Wind Ensemble, and a Rock group.Â Â The Senior Choir is a mixed ensemble, which has approximately 40 singers of all levels of musicianship.
- The successful candidate must be a student, a senior in high school through all post secondary levels
- Enrolled in a music program or able to demonstrate a high level of musical proficiency
- The ability to sight-read a voice part from an anthem of average difficulty
- Proficiency on other instruments is an asset but not required
The primary responsibilities of the successful candidate will include:
- Attend weekly rehearsals: Thursday evenings from 7:30 â€“ 9:30
- Attend the choral warm up: Sunday mornings from 10:15 â€“ 10:55
- Participate in weekly worship: Sundays mornings from 11:00 â€“ 12:00
- Participate in special services throughout the year, i.e. Christmas Eve
Other aspects the successful candidates will be encouraged to do may include:
- Sing a solo piece during worship
- Conduct the choir during a rehearsal or service
- Assist the Organist, the Director of Music, and the general musical life of Westworth United Church
- The successful candidates will each receive $900 for the choral season (September â€“ June) to be paid in 3 equal installments of $300 in December, March and June
- Absences will typically be granted for other musical activities and special circumstances upon consultation with the Director of Music
How to Apply:
Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to the attention of the Director of Music, Stuart Sladden, either by mail, fax or email (firstname.lastname@example.org), as soon as possible as we hope to have the scholarships filled before September 30, 2011. Â Prospective candidates will then be contacted to come in for a brief interview.Westworth United Church Â 1750 Grosvenor Ave. Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3N 0H9 Office Phone: 489-6974 / Fax: 489-5597